Oncology Nursing Distance Education Course
The Oncology Nursing Distance Education Course (ONDEC) is a self-study, tutor-supported course offered by the Nursing Education Department at the Cross Cancer Institute, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
ONDEC will meet the educational needs of nurses and other health care professionals who provide care for patients with cancer and their families in any care setting.
The Full Course curriculum provides a continuum of oncology knowledge from carcinogenesis, early detection and diagnosis, to supportive care in recovery or death.
The Full Course section topics are:
- Cancer Biology and Epidemiology
- Cancer Treatments
- Oncologic Emergencies
- Cancer Diseases
- Symptom Management and Supportive Care
Exams are administered after each section of the course. There is no final exam.
RNs can use this course to assist in preparation for the Canadian Nurses Association Oncology Certification exam.
On average students report a weekly study commitment of six to eight hours.
Options for completing ONDEC
We are pleased to announce that in 2012 we will have 2 options for completing ONDEC.
- Option one – Full Course ONDEC
- All 5 sections to be completed in 10 months (12 months for international students). At the successful completion of the 5 sections the student will receive the ONDEC certificate of completion and ONDEC pin.
- Option two – Partial Course ONDEC
- Register for individual sections. Each section must be completed in 3 months. At the successful completion of a section the student will receive a certificate of completion for that specific section.
- If a student has successfully completed all 5 sections within 2 years they will qualify for the ONDEC certificate of completion and ONDEC pin.