Your Child's Surgery
No matter how simple or complex your child's surgery, we understand that no procedure is small when it involves your child. At Alberta Children's Hospital, we perform over 10,000 surgeries each year. That's experience you can count on! Our caring, child-friendly team of surgeons, anesthesiologists, nurses and child life specialists are specially trained to meet the needs of children and families. Rest assured, you are in good hands.
A child having surgery can be stressful for the entire family, whether it is planned or unexpected. We find families who know what to expect are often less anxious and better prepared for their hospital experience. Our goal is to provide you with information and resources to help your family prepare for the upcoming surgery.
We have officially changed our unit name from Day Surgery to the MacNeill Family Short Stay Surgical Unit. You may see either name being used on hospital signs or written material.
A program to help prepare your child for surgery.
Please register at email@example.com
Specialized Care Plan
Available for children with Autism, special needs or high anxiety.
- Weeks Before Surgery - Timeline
- Telling Your Child
- Surgery 101 - Hospital Visit
- Helping Siblings Cope
- Guide to Preparing Your Family
- Day Before Surgery
Day of Surgery
- Getting Here - Directions & Parking
- What the Parents Can Expect
- Anesthesia FAQ: Kids | Parents
- PACU - Things to Know
- PACU - Frequently Asked Questions
- Visiting Information
- Day of Surgery - Photo Tour
After Surgery - At Home
- Caring For Your Child At Home
- Common Behaviour Changes
- Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy Home Care Video