Living Healthy Program / Cardiac Rehabilitation
The Living Healthy Program (LHP) includes services for
- cardiac rehabilitation
- adult and pediatric diabetes education and management
- heart function clinic
- TIA / Stroke prevention education
- chronic disease self-management workshops (Better Choices, Better Health™ )
- community & home exercise programs
- COPD rehabilitation
We provide assessment, treatment, prevention, and education.
Cardiac Rehabilitation is a 12-week education and exercise program for individuals diagnosed with cardiovascular disease and other co-morbidities. LHP provides education, counselling and support for individuals to assist them in self-managing chronic conditions.
A multidisciplinary team of health care professionals provide a wide range of essentional services including:
- An exercise specialist and Internal Medicine Specialists assess the patient and follow their progress throughout the exercise program, performing stress tests, diagnostic tests and functional capacity testing. Exercise prescriptions are developed along with individual exercise programs that include aerobic exercise, resistance training and flexibility/strengthening exercises. Health facility, home programs and community exercise programs are offered
- Registered Nurses and dietitians provide clinical assessment, treatment and nutritional counseling, one-to-one or in a group setting
- Social Worker and Mental Health Promotion Facilitator provide education and counselling for stress management, spousal support (Love me Too) and staff health
- Smoking Cessation counseling
- Better Choices, Better Health™ Coordinator recruits and trains both lay and health care professional leaders to run six-week workshops for individuals to learn how to self-manage their chronic conditions
- Cardiologists travel from Calgary to support the heart function clinic every two weeks. Cardiologists also follow up clients (with RN's present) via clinical telehealth sessions.
- Physical Therapists, Physical Therapy Assistants, Occupational Therapists and Respiratory Therapists provide services to LHP clients on-site.
Referrals are accepted from all health care providers, including client self-referrals. Most referrals are received for acute care facilities following a cardiac event or hospitilization.
Brooks Health Centre
440 3 Street E
For more information please contact the service at this facility.
City provided special transit
Hours of Operation
- Monday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Tuesday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Wednesday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Thursday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Patients with non-urgent questions can leave voicemail and the call will be returned on the next business day. If the problem is of an urgent nature, the patient should go to the Emergency Room. Health facility exercise program operates Tuesday and Thursday from 8:30 am until 3:30 pm. Stress testing is done on Fridays. Community exercise program operates Wednesday and Friday from 8:00 am until 12:00 pm.
This service is not available to everyone. Call for more information.
Referral required from any health care professional. Physician referral preferred, but client self-referrals are accepted.
Currently our community exercise program for low to moderate risk, high functioning clients is $80 for 12 weeks.
Fees are waived if financial hardship is expressed
Service language options
access to language line for translation
There maybe a waiting period for this service. Call for more information.