Edmonton Adult Bariatric Specialty Clinic
This clinic provides medical, psychological, and surgical interventions for weight management and improving health. Support is provided to individuals with obesity who require complex medical management and/or surgical intervention.
The initial clinic assessment determines the patient’s specific barriers to managing their weight. The next steps involve developing an individualized care plan with the patient which may include:
- behaviour modification
- counseling for nutrition, physical activity, and mental health
- drug treatment and/or bariatric surgery (surgical treatment for obesity)
- coordinating care and transitioning the patient back to their family physician with recommendations from the clinic.
Clinic staff also assess whether bariatric surgery is an option for clinic patients. Not everyone participating in the clinic is an appropriate candidate for bariatric surgery; other treatment options may be determined to be more appropriate and successful long term. Please note, it takes several appointments and considerable time to determine eligibility for bariatric surgery.
Patients may be asked to participate in research activities.
- A video with more information on this program can be found at:
- Weight Wise information line
- Weight Wise Education Workshops
- Better Choices Better Health Chronic Disease Self Management Program
Patients who have had previous bariatric surgery outside of the Edmonton Adult Bariatric Specialty Clinic, please visit:
Royal Alexandra Hospital
CSC (Community Services Centre) Bldg., 4th Floor
10240 Kingsway Avenue NW
Central Access 780-401-BOOK (2665) or 1-877-414-2665 (Alberta Only), Clinic Phone 780-735-5620, Information Line 780-735-1078
Street level access, elevator available.
Public Transportation Available.
This service is not available to everyone. Call for more information.
A referral is needed to access this service. Call for more information.
A doctor's referral is required. To make a referral, fax an Edmonton Adult Specialty Bariatric Clinic referral form to Central Access.