Central Alberta Anticoagulation Clinic
Specializing in anticoagulation, our multidisciplinary team collaborates with clients, families and health care providers in Central Alberta to promote positive health outcomes in anticoagulation care. We serve as an accessible resource to mentor and educate clients and health care professionals on anticoagulation management and provide support based on individual needs.
Anticoagulation Clinic services include:
- Treatment for Venous Thromboembolism (blood clot);
- Prophylactic anticoagulation initiation and dosing (Atrial Fibrillation, Heart Valves);
- Anticoagulation for complex clients (pregnancy, cancer, comorbidities, etc.);
- Anticoagulation management for clients with unstable INRs;
- Anticoagulation bridging for surgery or invasive procedures (warfarin interruption, and coverage with Low Molecular Weight Heparin);
- Resource for anticoagulation information for patients, families, health professionals.
Patients are managed and supported in the clinic through education and patient counseling until they achieve stable, therapeutic levels of anticoagulant dosing and demonstrate the capacity to self-manage their disease. Patients must have access to a lab, telephone and hospital, be willing to self inject medication or have someone inject it for them (when LMWH is required), and have an anticoagulation indication that can be treated on an outpatient basis.
Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre
Medical Specialty Clinics
3942 50A Avenue
Red Deer, Alberta
For more information please contact the service at this facility.
This facility is located on a main bus route. Public Transportation available.
Hours of Operation
- Monday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Tuesday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Wednesday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Thursday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Closed Saturday, Sunday and Statutory holidays.
This service is not available to everyone. Call for more information.
Referral to the Aniticoagulation clinic is made by a Specialist or family physician. Assessment of referrals is completed by interdisciplinary team in consultation with Internal Medicine specialists. Specific referral criteria is available on request.