The purpose of the Sexual Health Program in the South Zone is to promote positive attitudes and practices with respect to human sexuality. Services focus on Harm Reduction, Pregnancy Prevention, Sexually Transmitted Infection Prevention and the promotion of healthy lifestyle choices with regards to sexuality.
Counselling and Information including:
- Sexual decision-making
- Birth control and preganany prevention strategies, including abstinence
- Sexually transmitted infection prevention - screening and treatment information.
- HIV Outreach and referrals
- Normal stages of sexual development
- Healthy pregnancy (Better Beginnings programs in Lethbridge only)
- Pregnancy options counselling (includes all options and referrals to appropriate services)
- Parenting and sex education
Health Promotion and Education Services: education programs and presentations to professionals, students, parents, teens, schools, and community groups are available upon request. All programs are tailored to the needs of the group requesting the session. Teacher support for the sexuality portion of the Alberta Health Curriculum is available i.e. mentoring, team teaching, lesson plan development, activities and educational materials and resources.
Clinical Services are available at the following locations:
- Lethbridge: Emergency Contraception, Pregnancy Testing and follow-up, Sexually Transmitted Infection testing and treatment (urine/blood and swabs), Partner Notification and follow-up for STI, Birth Control Prescriptions and supplies.
- Medicine Hat: Emergency Contraception, Pregnancy Testing and follow-up, Sexually Transmitted Infection testing and treatment (urine/blood), Partner Notification and follow-up for STI.
- Brooks: Emergency Contraception, Pregnancy Testing and follow-up, Sexually Transmitted Infection testing and treatment (urine/blood), Partner Notification and follow-up for STI.
Counselling and Information services, Health Promotion and education services are available to all residents of southern Alberta in the South Zone.
Clinical services are located in central locations of Lethbridge, Medicine Hat and Brooks, but can be accessed by residents of southern Alberta in the South Zone of AHS.
Lethbridge: all ages (except for Birth Control and STI testing/treatment services - under 25 years old)
Brooks: all ages
Medicine Hat: all ages
Brooks Health Centre
440 3 Street E
For more information please contact the service at this facility.
City provided special transit
This service is not available to everyone. Call for more information.
Birth control supplies
To be discussed with the nurse
Service language options