Immunization - School Services
Alberta Health Services offers immunization services in the school setting to children in grade one, five and nine. Immunization records are reviewed to determine what vaccines are recommended prior to consents being sent home to parents for permission to administer the vaccine at the school. Consent for immunization is required from the parent/legal guardian prior to them being immunized in a school setting. Students without a signed consent will not be immunized. The Public Health Nurse will review a number of questions related to the child's heallth, history of allergies and /or previous reactions to vaccines in order to determine that it is appropriate to administer the vaccine(s). Students who miss vaccines offered in the school setting are still eligible to receive these either at the school on the next scheduled immunization day or at the closest Community/Public Health Centre.
- The grade 1 immunization program targets children who have not completed their routine preschool immunizations. Preschool immunizations include diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, measles, mumps, rubella and varicella.
- The grade 5 immunization program offers hepatitis B, and varicella vaccines to all students who have not been previously immunized with these vaccines and have no history of disease. Grade 5 girls are also offered human papillomavirus vaccine.
- In the grade 9 program, diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis vaccine is offered to all students. Beginning February 1, 2011 grade 9 students will also be offered meningococcal (Groups A, C, W-135, Y) vaccine. Effective September 2009 and ending September 2012 human papillomavirus vaccine will be offered to grade 9 girls.
Sheldon M. Chumir Health Centre
1213 4 Street SW
403-955-1250 (Booking Clinic)
For more information please contact the service at this facility.
Hours of Operation
- Monday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Tuesday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Wednesday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Thursday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Open alternate Saturdays.
This service is not available to everyone. Call for more information.