Office of the Medical Officer of Health
Under the Public Health Act, each zone's health authority is required to appoint a Medical Officer of Health (MOH).The powers of the MOH are described in the Public Health Act.
In Alberta there is one Senior MOH, five Zone Lead MOHs and ten Zone MOHs. The Senior MOH is appointed by the Chief Operating Officer. A key role for the MOHs is to work at a population, rather than an individual, level to create environments that are conducive to health.
- Health of the Population - monitoring and reporting (to the public and to the Health Authority Board) on the health status of the population. This is done through health and disease surveillance. The MOHs also advocate for changes in policy that will improve the health of residents, e.g. smoking bylaws, bicycle trail systems, intersection safety and red light campaigns.
- Communicable Disease Control - controlling the spread of communicable diseases and managing outbreaks. This includes vaccine preventable diseases, which is done largely through a comprehensive immunization program. The MOHs ensure the follow-up of notifiable diseases such as hepatitis, blood borne pathogens and enteric diseases, again to prevent the spread of disease. The MOHs also have responsibility for STD and TB follow-up and control. Additionally, the MOHs are responsible for infection control in the community.
- Environmental Health - providing direction to Environmental Health service programs that ensure food safety, safety and minimum standards for housing daycares, swimming pools, etc.
- Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention - also responsible for chronic disease prevention (heart disease, obesity, stroke) for injury prevention, healthy aging, and prevention of low birth weight babies.
Sheldon M. Chumir Health Centre
1213 4 Street SW
For more information please contact the service at this facility.
Hours of Operation
- Monday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Tuesday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Wednesday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Thursday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm