SCOPE Program - Edmonton - Information / Registration / Appointments
Provides colorectal cancer screening for patients who:
- Are aged 50-74 with either a personal or family history of polyps or colorectal cancer, OR
- Are 10 years younger than the youngest person in the family diagnosed with colorectal cancer, OR
- Who have a positive fecal occult blood test (FOBT)
- Pre-procedure consultation appointment (approx 1.5 hours in length)
- Colonoscopy appointment
- Navigate or assist patients and/or Family Physicians with any care required as determined by the colonoscopy
- Provide Follow-up recommendations for next procedure to both patient and Family Physician
Edmonton - Information / Registration / Appointments
Hours of Operation
- Monday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
- Tuesday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
- Wednesday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
- Thursday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
- Friday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
This service is not available to everyone. Call for more information.
A referral is needed to access this service. Call for more information.
Currently, referrals must be sent to Gastroenterologist who will then forward the referral to SCOPE program for screening services. If patient is deemed eligible, patient must attend education session to be booked for colonoscopy. Current timelines for colonoscopy are ~ 2 ? 8 weeks after patient attends education session.
Patients must purchase a bowel prep solution and take prior to colonoscopy appointment (average cost is $25 $40 dollars)
Patients may ask their family physicians to provide a prescription for the bowel prep solution. Note that not all insurance companies cover bowel prep within their drug plans.
Average wait for pre-procedural consultation is 2 weeks or less ? providing patient willing and able to attend appointment. Pre-procedural consultation appointments occur every 2 weeks, Colonoscopy appointments are booked after the patient has attended the pre-procedural consultation and average wait time for appointment is 2 ? 3 weeks providing patient willing to attend first available appointment within zone. If patient requesting specific hospital ? wait times will vary.