Alberta Healthy Living Program - Calgary Zone
Alternate names: (Previous names: Living Well with a Chronic Condition)
Helps people who have chronic illnesses (e.g. diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, lung disease, chronic pain).
This program includes:
- exercise classes
- education classes (e.g., diseases, nutrition, sleep, stress , pain management)
- workshop on living with long-term illnesses (Better Choices, Better Health®)
This program is offered in many locations throughout the city and in rural communities.
Adults 18 years of age and older who have at least one chronic condition (except for education classes and Self Management Workshops) and:
- are cognitively capable of participating in a group setting
- are able to behave appropriately in a social setting
Some clients are not eligible for this program, including people with:
- developmental disabilities
- serious mental health, personality, or behaviour problems
- dementia or other memory issues
A referral is needed to access this service. Call for more information.
You can call to refer yourself or referral can be through your doctor or health care provider.
To self refer call: 403-943-2584
Referral form can be found here.
There are fees for exercise part of the program. Classes and workshops are free.
Fees may be less for people who have low income. Call for more information.
registered dietitians, kinesiologists, occupational therapists (OTs), physio therapists (PTs), registered nurses (RNs), social workers, recreation therapists (Rec Ts), respiratory therapists (RTs)
Please visit the links below for more details about this service at various locations.
- Sheldon M. Chumir Health Centre
1213 4 Street SW, Calgary, Alberta T2R 0X7; 403-943-2584, 403-955-6856 (Punjabi and Hindi), 403-955-6857 (Cantonese and Mandarin)