Edmonton Adult Bariatric Specialty Clinic
(Previous names: Weight Wise Adult Weight Management Clinic)
The Edmonton Adult Bariatric Specialty Clinic provides tertiary medical, psychological, and surgical interventions for weight managemnet and improving health. Support is provided to individuals with obesity who require complex medical management and/or surgical intervention.
The initial clinic assessment determines the patient’s specific barriers to managing their weight. The next steps in a patient's care involve developing an individualized care plan which may include:
- behaviour modification
- counseling for nutrition, physical activity, and mental health
- drug treatment and/or bariatric surgery (surgical treatment for obesity)
- coordinating care and transitioning the patient back to their family physician with recommendations from the Edmonton Adult Bariatric Specialty Clinic.
Clinic staff also assess whether bariatric surgery is an option for clinic patients. Not everyone participating in the Edmonton Adult Bariatric Specialty Clinic is an appropriate candidate for bariatric surgery; other treatment options may be determined to be more appropriate and successful long term. Please note, it takes several appointments and considerable time to determine eligibility for bariatric surgery.
Patients who are referred to the Edmonton Adult Bariatric Specialty Clinic may be asked to participate in research activities. Patients who agree to participate will be booked for research study visits in conjunction with their regular appointments.
Bariatric equipment is in place at the clinic.
A video with more information on this program can be found at:
Workshops provide people with weight management strategies to initiate treatment in managing their obesity.Anyone who may benefit from learning about weight management may attend these group education classes, but they are designed specifically for people with obesity.
A series of six free, community-based sessions where people can learn, listen and share with their peers about how to get the most out of life while coping with long-term health conditions.
Patients are expected to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Aged 17 and over
- BMI ≥ 35 kg/m2, with an obesity-related comorbidity (ex. hypertension, diabetes mellitus, dyslipidemia, osteoarthritis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, sleep apnea, depression, polycystic ovarian syndrome, cardiovascular disease).
- BMI ≥ 40 kg/m2
- does not have a severe, untreated personality disorder, active psychosis, active substance dependencies, and/or major cognitive impairment.
- the ability to attend a minimum of 10 Clinic appointments in a 9 month period.
To make a referral, physicians can fax an Edmonton Adult Specialty Bariatric Clinic referral form to Central Access. Once a referral is received, the patient is contacted by a Central Access booking clerk to make an appointment for an initial clinic assessment and the referring physician is notified of this appointment.
A specialized team of health professionals, including Exercise Specialists, Mental Health Practitioners, Occupational Therapists, Physicians, Physiotherapists, Registered Dietitians, Registered Nurses, Social Workers and Surgeons who support patients in the diagnosis and treatment of obesity.
Please visit the links below for more details about this service at various locations.
- Royal Alexandra Hospital
CSC (Community Services Centre) Bldg., 4th Floor
10240 Kingsway Avenue NW, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 3V9; Central Access 780-401-BOOK (2665) or 1-877-414-2665 (Alberta Only), Clinic Phone 780-735-5620, Information Line 780-735-1078