Edmonton Adult Bariatric Specialty Clinic
(Previous names: Weight Wise Adult Weight Management Clinic)
This clinic provides medical, psychological, and surgical interventions for weight management and improving health. Support is provided to individuals with obesity who require complex medical management and/or surgical intervention.
The initial clinic assessment determines the patient’s specific barriers to managing their weight. The next steps involve developing an individualized care plan with the patient which may include:
- behaviour modification
- counseling for nutrition, physical activity, and mental health
- drug treatment and/or bariatric surgery (surgical treatment for obesity)
- coordinating care and transitioning the patient back to their family physician with recommendations from the clinic.
Clinic staff also assess whether bariatric surgery is an option for clinic patients. Not everyone participating in the clinic is an appropriate candidate for bariatric surgery; other treatment options may be determined to be more appropriate and successful long term. Please note, it takes several appointments and considerable time to determine eligibility for bariatric surgery.
Patients may be asked to participate in research activities.
- A video with more information on this program can be found at:
- Weight Wise information line
- Weight Wise Education Workshops
- Better Choices Better Health Chronic Disease Self Management Program
Patients who have had previous bariatric surgery outside of the Edmonton Adult Bariatric Specialty Clinic, please visit:
Adults, age 17 and over with:
- BMI ≥ 35 kg/m2, with an obesity-related comorbidity (ex. hypertension, diabetes mellitus, dyslipidemia, osteoarthritis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, sleep apnea, depression, polycystic ovarian syndrome, cardiovascular disease).
- BMI ≥ 40 kg/m2 with or without comorbidity
- No severe, untreated personality disorder, active psychosis, active substance dependencies, and/or major cognitive impairment.
Accessing the service - more information:
Once a referral is received, the patient is contacted by a Central Access booking clerk to make an appointment for an initial clinic assessment and the referring physician is notified of this appointment.
A referral is needed to access this service. Call for more information.
A doctor's referral is required. To make a referral, fax an Edmonton Adult Specialty Bariatric Clinic referral form to Central Access.
dietitians, doctors, exercise specialists, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, psychologists, registered nurses (RNs), social workers, surgeons
Please visit the links below for more details about this service at various locations.
- Royal Alexandra Hospital
CSC (Community Services Centre) Bldg., 4th Floor
10240 Kingsway Avenue NW, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 3V9; Central Access 780-401-BOOK (2665) or 1-877-414-2665 (Alberta Only), Clinic Phone 780-735-5620, Information Line 780-735-1078