Alternate names: ACRCSP
Provides colorectal cancer screening for patients who:
- Are aged 50-74 with either a personal or family history of polyps or colorectal cancer, OR
- Are 10 years younger than the youngest person in the family diagnosed with colorectal cancer, OR
- Who have a positive fecal occult blood test (FOBT)
- Pre-procedure consultation appointment (approx 1.5 hours in length)
- Colonoscopy appointment
- Navigate or assist patients and/or Family Physicians with any care required as determined by the colonoscopy
- Provide Follow-up recommendations for next procedure to both patient and Family Physician
1. Aged 50 – 74, or 10 years younger than youngest diagnosed relative with colorectal cancer
2. Positive fecal occult blood test
1. BMI > 40
2. Significant co-morbidities including:
- Type 1 diabetic
- Patients on Coumadin for reasons other than Atrial Fibrillation that cannot come off of Coumadin for 3 days prior to colonoscopy
- Patients who have had surgical intervention within past 3 months
- Patients who have had a Myocardial infarction within past 6 months
- Currently being investigated for other medical issues and diagnosis has not been confirmed
A referral is needed to access this service. Call for more information.
Currently, referrals must be sent to Gastroenterologist who will then forward the referral to SCOPE program for screening services. If patient is deemed eligible, patient must attend education session to be booked for colonoscopy. Current timelines for colonoscopy are ~ 2 ? 8 weeks after patient attends education session.
Patients must purchase a bowel prep solution and take prior to colonoscopy appointment (average cost is $25 $40 dollars)
Patients may ask their family physicians to provide a prescription for the bowel prep solution. Note that not all insurance companies cover bowel prep within their drug plans.
Gastroenterologist, Nurse Practitioners, Specialty Trained Registered Nurses, Surgeons
The SCOPE Program is the Edmonton zone arm of the Provincial Alberta Colorectal Cancer Screening Program (ACRCSP) and is affiliated with the Screening for Life Program.
Please visit the links below for more details about this service at various locations.
- Edmonton - Information / Registration / Appointments
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 0C0; 780-735-3235