Halvar Jonson Centre for Brain Injury Inpatient Rehabilitation
(Previous names: Brain Injury Rehabilitation Program (BIRP) at Alberta Hospital Ponoka)
Inpatient rehabilitation for moderate-to-severe complex brain injury or stroke patients. Education is offered to patients and their families to help prepare the patients to return to the community.
Specialty services include:
- swallowing and meal management
- spasticity clinic
- sexual health team
- psychiatric consultation
For people who:
- are between 16 to 65 years (referrals for people over the age of 65 years will be considered)
- have a diagnosis of a non-progressive acquired brain injury
- have stable health
- are able to learn and participate in the treatment
- need more than one kind of rehabilitation
A referral is needed to access this service. Call for more information.
All candidates must have a completed referral package that will be reviewed by the physicians and admissions committee
There may be fees for some equipment and services.
doctors, health care aides, licensed practical nurses (LPNs), neuropsychologists, occupational therapists (OTs), physical therapists (PTs), psychologists, recreation therapists (RTs), registered nurses (RNs), registered practical nurses (RPNs), social workers, speech language pathologists (SLPs), teachers, therapy aides, therapy assistants
Please visit the links below for more details about this service at various locations.
- Centennial Centre for Mental Health and Brain Injury
Halvar Jonson Centre for Brain Injury is located within the CCMHBI
46 Street S, Ponoka, Alberta T4J 1R8; 403-783-7803