Halvar Jonson Centre for Brain Injury Inpatient Rehabilitation
(Previous names: Brain Injury Rehabilitation Program (BIRP) at Alberta Hospital Ponoka)
Provides long-term inpatient rehabilitation for moderate-to-severe complex brain injury or stroke patients. Education is offered to patients and their families to help prepare the patients to return to the community.
Specialty services include:
- swallowing and meal management
- spasticity clinic
- sexual health team
- psychiatric consultation
For people who:
- are between 16 to 65 years (referrals for people over the age of 65 years will be considered)
- have a diagnosis of a non-progressive acquired brain injury
- have stable health
- are able to learn and participate in the treatment
- need more than one kind of rehabilitation
A referral is needed to access this service. Call for more information.
All candidates must have a completed referral package that will be reviewed by the physicians and admissions committee
There may be fees for some equipment and services.
doctors, health care aides, neuropsychologist, nurses (RN/RPN/LPN), occupational therapists (OTs), physical therapists (PTs), psychologists, recreation therapists (RTs), social workers, speech language pathologists (SLPs), teachers, therapy assistants/aides
Please visit the links below for more details about this service at various locations.
- Centennial Centre for Mental Health and Brain Injury
Halvar Jonson Centre for Brain Injury is located within the CCMHBI
46 Street S, Ponoka, Alberta T4J 1R8; 403-783-7803