Halvar Jonson Centre for Brain Injury Inpatient Rehabilitation
, Halvar Jonson Centre for Brain Injury Inpatient Rehabilitation
(Previous names: Brain Injury Rehabilitation Program (BIRP) at Alberta Hospital Ponoka)
The mission - the Halvar Jonson Centre for Brain Injury is committed to optimizing the functional potential of persons with acquired brain injury.
- Provincial resource that can be accessed by anyone in Alberta who meets the admission criteria
- 48 inpatient beds for intensive long-term rehabilitation; 5 beds designated for Out of Province patients
- Serves moderate to severe non-progressive brain injury between the ages of 16 to 65 i.e., traumatic or non-traumatic injuries and stroke
- Admission guidelines: medically stable, tolerance to participate and the potential to learn and benefit from rehabilitation, requires and interdisciplinary team, consent provided or substitute decision maker named
- Interdisciplinary team approach may address physical, cognitive, emotional, behavioural, social and community needs
- Specialized Stroke Streaming Service: 6 month Length of Stay
- Individualized treatment programs, frequent monitoring, use of Best Practices
- Specialty services: Swallowing and Meal Management, Spasticity Clinic, Sexual Health Team, Physiatrist consultations
- Patient, family education and meetings to facilitate community re - integration
- Diagnosis confirming non progressive acquired brain injury
- Medically stable
- Age 16 to 65 years (referrals over the age of 65 years will be considered on an individual basis)
- Able to learn and able to participate
- Requires the services of an interdisciplinary rehabilitation team
- Capacity and consent addressed
- Anticipated discharge location has been considered
Accessing the service - more information:
Referral documentation is reviewed by Physicians. Pre-admission assessment is completed on appropriate referrals.
How to access this service: - Physician referral required.Referral documentation is reviewed by Physicians. Pre-admission assessment is completed on appropriate referrals. - Referrals are processed by the Admissions Coordinator 403- 783-7839. - Pre-admission assessment by physician - Review and admission decision - Arrangements for admission through Admission Coordinator - Applicants, families and caregivers are encouraged to participate in prearranged tour of the Program.
Application form and supporting documentation is reviewed. (Discuss required documentation with Admissions Coordinator).
Interdisciplinary Team consists of: Consulting Physiatrist, General Practitioner, Health Carer Aides, Nurses,Occupational Therapy,Physical Therapy,Psychology,Recreational Therapy, Social Work, Speech Language Pathology, Teachers, Therapy Assistants
The Centennial Centre for Mental Health and Brain Injury - Addictions and Mental Health
Please visit the links below for more details about this service at various locations.
- Centennial Centre for Mental Health and Brain Injury
Halvar Jonson Centre for Brain Injury is located within the CCMHBI
46 Street S, Ponoka, Alberta T4J 1R8; 403-783-7803