Comprehensive Breast Care Program
Alternate names: CBCP
Patients registered with this program receive a range of services to determine whether cancer is present and what treatments may be considered. The program's goal is to help patients access services in a timely manner and minimize delays in receiving care.
Services are delivered by telephone and include:
- care coordination by nurse navigators who are specialized in breast health and cancer;
- coordination of diagnostic tests and other appointments, such as ultrasounds and biopsies for patients with a palpable mass on clinical examination;
- patient education to assist with decisions about treatment options;
- information regarding which health providers or facilities can provide services in a timely manner;
- access to medical breast experts as required for complex cases;
- support from clinical social workers for cancer patients.
Patients receive quality cancer care as quickly as possible, and the breast nurse navigators help ensure all the important care steps are completed. The patient's family physician is involved all the way through, receiving information about the patient's diagnosis, treatment, progress, and follow-up care.
Patients remain in the program until they begin treatment at a cancer centre. Patients are discharged from the program if it is determined they do not have cancer or if they do not need to be monitored further.
The program does not offer routine breast (mammography) screening or breast health concerns without abnormal imaging.
- have abnormal breast changes such as a palpable lump upon clinical breast exam, abnormal or suspicious mammogram, or other clinical findings;
- be within the geographic boundaries of the Alberta Health Services - Edmonton Zone, or within its out-of-region referral/catchment area (northern Alberta).
A referral is needed to access this service. Call for more information.
Referral by physician or APN only
clinical social workers, doctors, nurse navigators (RNs), oncologists, pathologists, radiologists, surgeons
A collaborative program of Alberta Health Services and Covenant Health
Please visit the links below for more details about this service at various locations.
- Sun Life Place
10123 99 Street, Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3H1; 780-638-CBCP (2227) (Enquiries Only)