Alberta Breast Cancer Screening Program
Alternate names: ABCSP
The Alberta Breast Cancer Screening Program (ABCSP) is an organized province-wide breast cancer screening program coordinated by Alberta Health Services - Cancer Screening Programs in partnership with the Alberta Society of Radiologists. ABCSP is dedicated to increasing the number of women aged 50 to 69 who have regular screening mammograms. Women aged 40 to 49 are welcome to participate with a physician's referral.
Breast cancer is the most common cancer diagnosed in Alberta women and, after lung cancer, the second leading cause of death. Screening mammograms are the best way to detect breast cancers at an earlier stage when treatment is more effective.
ABCSP coordinates activities that contribute to the early detection of breast cancer including:
- Providing information and education to women and health care providers;
- Increasing access to breast cancer screening services throughout the province;
- Working with health care providers and labs to correspond directly with patients who have been screened;
- Providing a follow-up reminder system for health care providers;
- Providing breast cancer screening quality assurance;
- Supporting continual quality improvement in the delivery of breast cancer screening services based on feedback from Albertans and health care providers as well as research information.
For more information about the Alberta Breast Cancer Screening Program, visit www.screeningforlife.ca
Women aged 50-69 who have:
- NOT had a mammogram within the last 12 months
- NO breast problems (such as a new lump or bloody nipple discharge); ;
- NO history of breast cancer;
- NO breast implants.
Accessing the service - more information:
A list of service locations and contact information is available on our website www.screeningforlife.ca
For eligible women aged 50-69 no referral is needed. For women aged 40-49, a health care provider's referral is needed for the first appointment only.
radiologist radiology technician
Alberta Society of Radiologists
Please visit the links below for more details about this service at various locations.
- Alberta-Wide Web and / or Telephone Access
1-866-727-3926 Alberta Breast Cancer Screening Program