Red Deer Bariatric Specialty Clinic
Alternate names: (Previous names: Weight Loss Surgery Clinic)
The initial clinic assessment determines the patient's specific barriers to managing their weight. The next steps in a patient's care involve developing an individualized care plan which may include:
- behaviour modification
- counseling for nutrition, physical activity, and mental health
- drug treatment and/or bariatric surgery (surgical treatment for obesity)
- coordinating care and transitioning the patient back to their family physician with recommendations.
Patients are expected to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Aged 18 and over
- BMI ≥ 35 kg/m2, with two obesity-related comorbidities (ex. hypertension, diabetes mellitus, dyslipidemia, osteoarthritis, sleep apnea, polycystic ovarian syndrome, cardiovascular disease) OR
- BMI ≥ 40 kg/m2
- Does not have a severe, untreated personality disorder, active psychosis, active substance dependencies, and/or major cognitive impairment.
Clinic staff also assess whether bariatric surgery is an option for clinic patients. Not everyone participating in the Red Deer Bariatric Specialty Clinic is an appropriate candidate for bariatric surgery; other treatment options may be determined to be more appropriate and successful long term. Please note, it takes several appointments to determine eligibility for bariatric surgery.
A referral is needed to access this service. Call for more information.
A referral letter can be faxed to the clinic. Please ensure that the letter includes a measured height and weight, BMI, and weight related comorbidities.
physician registered dietitian registered nurses registered psychologist surgeons
Please visit the links below for more details about this service at various locations.
- Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre
2nd Floor South Complex
3942 50A Avenue, Red Deer, Alberta T4N 4E7; 403-356-4200