Red Deer Bariatric Specialty Clinic
Alternate names: (Previous names: Weight Loss Surgery Clinic)
This clinic provides medical, psychological, and surgical interventions for weight management and improving health. Support is provided to individuals with obesity who require complex medical management and/or surgical intervention.
The initial clinic assessment determines the patient’s specific barriers to managing their weight. The next steps involve developing an individualized care plan with the patient which may include:
- behaviour modification
- counseling for nutrition, physical activity, and mental health
- drug treatment and/or bariatric surgery (surgical treatment for obesity)
- coordinating care and transitioning the patient back to their family physician with recommendations from the clinic
Clinic staff also assess whether bariatric surgery is an option for clinic patients. Not everyone participating in the clinic is an appropriate candidate for bariatric surgery; other treatment options may be determined to be more appropriate and successful long term. Please note, it takes several appointments and considerable time to determine eligibility for bariatric surgery.
Adults age 18 and over with:
- BMI ≥ 35 kg/m2, with an obesity-related comorbidity (ex. hypertension, diabetes mellitus, dyslipidemia, osteoarthritis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, sleep apnea, depression, polycystic ovarian syndrome, cardiovascular disease).
- BMI ≥ 40 kg/m2 with or without comorbidity
- no severe, untreated personality disorder, active psychosis, active substance dependencies, and/or major cognitive impairment
A referral is needed to access this service. Call for more information.
A doctor referral is required. A referral letter can be faxed to the clinic. Please ensure that the letter includes a measured height and weight, BMI, and weight related comorbidities.
dietitians, doctors, psychologist, registered nurses (RNs), social workers, surgeons
Please visit the links below for more details about this service at various locations.
- Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre
2nd Floor South Complex
3942 50A Avenue, Red Deer, Alberta T4N 4E7; 403-356-4200