Genetic Metabolic Clinic
Alternate names: (Previous names: Medical Genetic Services, Medical Genetics Clinic)
Addresses medical concerns so early treatment and prevention measures can be taken when possible. Sees these types of referrals:
- preconception and prenatal concerns for people with a family history of a genetic condition
- general genetics referrals for people with symptoms of a genetic condition
- metabolism genetics for people with symptoms of a metabolism condition
- hereditary cancer for people with a strong family history of cancer; for more information see Referrals to Edmonton Cancer Genetics Clinic
- predictive testing for people with a family history or certain diseases like Huntington’s disease
Offers genetic counselling, which includes
- teaching about genetic disorders
- risk assessment to the person and family members
- information about genetic testing options
- referring to resources as needed
The nutrition genetics clinic supports people with metabolism disorders. Provides assessment, counselling, and some medical management about nutrition products and medicines.
If you need genetic testing that is not offered in Alberta, your healthcare provider will talk to you about this.
The clinic does not do paternity testing.
Adults with a history (or family history) of a known genetic disorder or a lab test/health problem that is likely a genetic disorder.
Referral from a healthcare provider is preferred, however, some limited self referrals are accepted on a case-by-case basis.
dietitians, genetic counsellors, medical geneticists
Please visit the links below for more details about this service at various locations.
- Stollery Children's Hospital
Room 8-53 Medical Sciences Building
8440 112 Street, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2B7; 780-407-7333