COVID-19 info for Albertans & Health Professionals and about Family Support & Visitation.

COVID-19 testing available for all Albertans. Book now.

Employee Assessment

Are you an employer wondering how to refer an employee to AHS Addiction and Mental Health for assessment, or an employee wondering what to expect when you come to AHS Addiction and Mental Health?

Here is how the assessment process works:

  • The employee who requires an assessment for alcohol, other drug or gambling concerns may visit an addiction services office. After completing some information forms, they will be seen by an addiction counsellor.
  • The counsellor will discuss with the employee whether they consent to share very specific client information with designated people, such as the employer.
  • With the employee’s signed consent, the employer may contact AHS Addiction and Mental Health about the employee's progress. Ongoing communication with the employee's counsellor is encouraged throughout the process.
  • After interviewing the employee, the counsellor will complete and summarize the assessment, and will make further treatment recommendations if needed.
  • Worksite policies that require alcohol and other drug testing as part of substance use assessments and treatment follow-up planning should direct employees to appropriate services. AHS Addiction and Mental Health may assist by providing intensive treatment or other programs depending on the employee's needs.

Other Workplace Services

AHS Addiction and Mental Health also offers prevention, education and training programs to the business community. Consider consulting with us to find out how our cost-effective services can help your company with issues such as 

  • information on how substance use and gambling affect the workplace
  • dealing with the troubled employee
  • alcohol and other drug testing
  • setting up an Employee Assistance Program
  • developing policies on substance use and gambling

For more information and to find an addiction services office near you, please call the 24-hour Helpline at 1-866-332-2322.