Alberta Health Services (AHS), Pharmacy Services, is asking is asking all students in Alberta seeking a post-secondary education in a healthcare-related field to produce a two minute video/animation to raise awareness and understanding of Antimicrobial Stewardship (AS) in the hospital setting and/or community setting.
AHS defines AS as optimal antimicrobial therapy including assessment of the need for antimicrobials, and if antimicrobials are needed, the appropriate selection, dosing, route and duration of antimicrobial therapy.
Appropriate use of antibiotics is a growing concern among health care practitioners. Resistance to antibiotics is a growing problem worldwide. As resistance to antibiotics grows, the effectiveness of antibiotics decreases, as does our ability as health care providers to cure infection, perform surgery and transplants, and care for patients with weakened immune systems.
AS aims to educate prescribers and potential prescribers about the risks of inappropriate antibiotic use, and encourages them to follow evidence-based prescribing to help curb overuse of antibiotics.
We want to hear from you!
Are you a post-secondary student in Alberta? Do you have a flair for video making? And an interest in Antimicrobial Stewardship?
Well – we’ve got the contest for you!
As future health care professionals, you can help us spread the word to other health care students and professionals about AS. In this competition, we are asking you to create a two-minute video that addresses the following:
Why reducing antibiotic misuse is important and what they can do as health care providers to improve antimicrobial use in the hospital setting and/or community setting.
Your video should also demonstrate:
- Benefits to patient care and safety
- Benefits to prescribers
- Impact on society as a whole
- Impact on the future of antibiotic prescribing and antimicrobial resistance
The deadline for entries is Wednesday, January 31, 2018.
All entries must be submitted in DVD format or on a USB and must be posted to Kristin Whitworth at Alberta Health Services, 10101 Southport Road SW, Calgary, Alberta, T2W 3N2.Entries can also be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The top 3 videos will be selected by a multi-disciplinary judging panel and will be showcased on AHS YouTube where AHS staff and Alberta faculty and students will vote for their favorite video.
The top video, as chosen by public vote, will win the opportunity to have their film showcased on the AHS website and will receive an award.
Regardless of the final award results, the program offers all entrants an array of benefits:
- Gain provincial and possibly national peer recognition for excellence in healthcare education sharing.
- Profile industry innovation and best practices.
- Build your personal reputation as a thought leader.
- Enhance the reputation of your team, both internally and externally.
- Build a business case to fund a key initiative.
- Inspire your team. Bring them together to produce show-stopping work and share the glory when it’s complete.
- Challenge yourself to new heights of innovation, creativity and strategic thinking.
- Build a portfolio of work that opens doors to new opportunities.
- Get your submissions assessed and validated by highly qualified health professional
The winners will be announced during Pharmacy Awareness Month in March 2018.
Terms and Conditions
- You must be a post-secondary student currently studying in Alberta; this competition is open to students with a valid and current Alberta post-secondary student ID.
- The entry cannot be more than two minutes in length.
- Only one entry per student/group.
- By entering this competition you are consenting to provide the personal information requested. We will abide by the Privacy Act.
- Any person shown in your film must fill out the attached AHS consent form.
- A form must also be completed for anyone under18 years old featured in your video.
- Entries must be submitted via DVD or USB no later than January 12, 2018 to Kristin Whitworth at Alberta Health Services, 10101 Southport Road SW, Calgary, Alberta, T2W 3N2. Entries can also be sent via email to Kristin.email@example.com through drop box or other file sharing programs.
- One winner (individual or group) will be chosen after online voting is complete; the winner will be contacted by email or telephone during March 2018.
- The winning video will be included on the AHS website. Unsuccessful entrants will not be contacted.
- Your entry should not have any trademark or copyright restrictions.
- There should be no reference to business names or advertising; all medications referenced should use proper generic/chemical names (as opposed to brand names).
- By entering this competition, you are agreeing to take part in publicity. This includes having your photograph taken for publicity purposes, providing a comment for the purposes of a media release and possibly taking part in media interviews.
- You should be aware that by submitting an entry, you are agreeing that it can be used for publicity purposes including use on social media. It may also be used as an educational tool for non-profit purposes.
- Organizers/judges can exclude any submissions that have misinformation, questionable ethics (actively encouraging a patient not to fill an antibiotic prescription), or include anyone who has not given signed consent.
- The winning video will then be announced and shared through various channels such as the AHS website, HUTV and internal AHS screens, and social media (YouTube, Twitter, etc.).