Promote, support, and enhance research initiatives within the Department of Surgery. By partnering with our membership, we endeavor to foster a vibrant research culture across a spectrum of surgical disciplines. The OSR performs numerous roles, including, but not limited to:
The Office of Surgical Research, located at the Foothills Medical Clinic, collaborates with members to foster a vibrant research culture across a spectrum of surgical disciplines.
- Providing direction and support for discipline-specific research within the Department of Surgery.
- Fostering collaborations between sections within the Department of Surgery and thematically aligned institutes. Instructing our membership in the process of grant writing.
- Enhancing internal grant review processes to optimize chances for funding success at the level of the CIHR and other external sponsoring agencies.
- Offering assistance in formulating research policy, direction, goals, and priorities within the Department of Surgery in consultation with the Research and Surgical Executive Committees.
- Overseeing the administration of the Surgeon Scientist Program (SSP).
- Administering the Department of Surgery Pillar Grants (Basic Science, Health Services, Clinical and Educational Research).
- Administering the Calgary Surgical Research Development Fund (CSRDF).
- Organizing the annual Surgeons' Day Research Symposium.
- Distributing an OSR Newsletter, which provides updates on research related initiatives relevant to the Department of Surgery.
Download a copy of the 2018-2023 OSR Strategic Plan
For consultations, information sessions and workshops development, contact us at: OSR@ucalgary.ca or visit us at www.ucalgary.ca/osr