Last Updated: September 28, 2020
This framework is designed to provide guidelines for the relaunch of volunteers to support acute care, long term care, designated supportive living and other licensed supporting living facilities during and following the COVID-19 response. Implementation of this framework is dependent on service needs and may differ depending on the facility and the ability to meet COVID-19 guidelines. The final decision for volunteer programs and activities relaunched at individual sites falls under the purview of site leadership and can depend upon many additional variables.
- Volunteer programs in acute care, long term care, designated supportive living and other licensed supporting living facilities can be relaunched in collaboration with site and program needs.
- One exception to the above is external vendor programs. The external vendor program will be reassessed in conjunction with site leadership when Essential Visitor guidelines are ended.
- Where there are initiatives that require volunteer support, Volunteer Resources, at the direction of the site/program leadership, will reach out to appropriate registered volunteers.
Appropriate registered volunteers are as follows:
- Registered volunteers of all ages who have indicated interest in supporting AHS at this time.
- Registered volunteers who meet the screening criteria for the area where they are volunteering.
- As most volunteers cannot complete the AHS daily fit for work (FFW) screening tool (95% of volunteers do not have AHS login credentials), volunteers will need to be assessed at each entrance as per facility entrance procedures. Paper Questionnaires for standard or for continuing care are available to support this process.
- Volunteer Resources will provide volunteers with guidance so they are aware of the safety and health risks associated with COVID-19, at the time of request. Volunteers will then be able to make an informed decision about their involvement.
- Volunteers must complete a mandatory COVID orientation. This orientation will be consistent across the province with Zone/site/program specific additions appended as needed.
- Volunteer Resources and /or the program area will provide volunteers with training and essential protective equipment needed to provide the service requested.
Recruitment of New Volunteers
In the event that Volunteer Resources must recruit new volunteers:
- Volunteer Resources will open its online application portal for new volunteers.
- Volunteers will be directed not to come to facilities unless specifically requested by Volunteer Resources.
- Volunteer interviews and orientation (AHS, site and role) will be held online to minimize their presence at facilities.