The Alberta Healthy Living Program offers health education classes, self-management workshops, nutrition counselling and health coaching related to exercising with chronic conditions. Services are open to adults living in the community who are at risk of or live with a chronic health condition.
Alberta Healthy Living Program (AHLP) offers individual and group programs
Interactive classes are offered via Zoom or telephone. These classes are open to all Albertans over the age of 18 and their support persons.
General Health Topics:
- Nutrition, Staying Active, Emotional Eating, Emotional Wellness (Self-Kindness, Stress, Grief), Pacing, Sleep, Creating a Personal Directives and more.
Topics on the following chronic conditions:
- Arthritis, Celiac Disease, Cholesterol / Blood Pressure, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Chronic Pain, COPD, Diabetes / Pre-diabetes, Fatty Liver Disease, Fibromyalgia, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Kidney Health, Osteoporosis/Bone Health, Parkinson's Disease, Weight Management and more.
The occasional “Eating Well for Good Health” and “Nutrition: I Know I Should Eat Healthy, But How?” classes include a cooking demonstration.
The Better Choices, Better Health® - Chronic Pain and Better Choices, Better Health® - Chronic Disease workshops are for adults living with a chronic condition and / or chronic pain and their support people. These 6-week workshops are offered by Zoom and offer participants chance to learn about the following:
- Working with healthcare professionals
- Healthy eating and weight management
- Exercise and physical activity
- Dealing with difficult emotions
- Managing pain and fatigue
- Better breathing
- Problem solving
- Communication skills
- Getting a good night's sleep
- Action planning and goal setting
Exercise Wellness Journey:
The Exercise Wellness Journey is an opportunity for people living with chronic conditions to gain knowledge and practice the skills needed to meet health and exercise goals based on their needs and priorities. Participants meet with an Exercise Clinician who will guide them through the various education and exercise classes available.
Adults living with a nutrition-related health condition are eligible for nutrition counselling with a Registered Dietitian. Participants will be asked to attend a relevant Health Education class, if available, before booking a nutrition counselling appointment