Offers diabetes education and counselling for people with type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
Diabetes Centre Calgary has temporarily changed its triage guidelines due to COVID-19 criteria and will accept referrals for the following patients:
- Those with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Those with TYPE 2 diabetes on insulin or on 3 diabetes agents (or 3 tried) with any of the following:
- Readings < 4 mmol/L a few times a week
- Readings frequently 12 mmol/L or greater
- A1c 10% or higher
- Requiring insulin start or addition of bolus insulin
- +++ Metabolically compromised type 2 diabetes requiring insulin
Pregnant With Diabetes: refer to Diabetes in Pregnancy Clinic (DIP) at the hospital in which they’ll deliver
This service may provide:
- diabetes education / counselling in a classroom setting and on one-to-one appointments with nurses, dietitians, or a pharmacist (topics include an overview of the disease, complications, medications, exercise, and nutrition)
- medication adjustment
- insulin pump therapy
- for information on the Alberta Insulin Pump Therapy Program (IPTP), visit the Diabetes Insulin Pump Therapy website