The Alberta Healthy Living Program provides services to those living with chronic conditions in communities throughout Alberta.
Alberta Healthy Living Program (AHLP) services provided vary slightly from Zone to Zone. Services include information, education, techniques, and support to help improve your health and quality of life with a chronic condition. Better Choices, Better Health® Self Management Program; Chronic Pain Self Management Program; Diabetes Education, Weight Management; Managing Stress; Getting to know COPD; Moving Matters; Heart & Stroke Education are offered virtually using Zoom. The program is based on a model that includes:
- Managing Diabetes - Learn self-management skills to deal with Type 2 or Pre-diabetes. Learn what diabetes is, why and how to monitor blood sugar, how medications for diabetes work, and what foods affect blood sugar
- Heart and Stroke - Learn how to manage high blood pressure and cholesterol levels; as well as how your lifestyle choices can reduce the risk of heart problems
- Moving Matters: Include physical activity in your day- learn how to include more physical activity in your day to help maintain a healthy weight and better manage chronic conditions
- Getting to know COPD - COPD can be a daunting diagnosis. Learn what it is and how you can manage it well to continue living your best life
- Minding Stress: Effectively Reduce and Manage Stress in your life- lean how to prevent, reduce, and mange the stressors in your life
- Weight Management: Learn effective way to manage weight. Sessions include healthy eating habits, stress management, physical activity and goal setting
Better Choices, Better Health® - This 6 week workshop is for those interested in gaining confidence and building skills to manage their long term health conditions. Sessions include dealing with pain, managing medication, sleep concerns, problem solving and action planning. Family members and support people are welcome to attend.
Chronic Pain Self-Management- this 6 - week workshop looks at how pain works and what techniques can help manage and stop the pain cycle. Topics include better breathing, better sleep, managing medications, as well as pacing, goal setting, action planning, and decision making.
For more information see Better Choices Better Health
Group exercise with support from an exercise specialist that includes a personal assessment, and a program of activities that can be continued at home. Activities focus on strength, endurance, flexibility and balance.
Specialty Care / Clinics:
- Grande Prairie Adult Bariatric Specialty Clinic provides medical, psychological and pre / post-surgical interventions for weight management and improving health. Support is provided to individuals with obesity who require complex medical management and / or surgical intervention. Doctor referral required
- Diabetes Prevention and Wellness Program provides one to one counselling and follow-up sessions, group classes and support for children and adults living with either Type 1, Type 2 and / or gestational diabetes
Insulin pump - learn about insulin pump therapy, how to use an insulin pump effectively and how to access the insulin pump therapy program in Alberta.
For more information please visit our website: Alberta Healthy Living