Back to search

Programs & Services

Environmental Public Health - Safe Food

Works to prevent food poisoning (also called food borne illness) in Alberta by investigating food-related complaints and providing food safety information and education to facility staff and the public.

Inspects public food facilities (e.g., restaurants, mobile food trucks, grocery stores, kitchens in daycares and nursing homes) to make sure food is prepared safely.

Applies Food Regulation requirements in public food facilities or operations to areas like:

  • bed and breakfast facilities
  • commercial caterers
  • community organization functions (when food is prepared for the public by volunteers)
  • convenience stores and fast food restaurants
  • restaurants, delis, and mobile food vendors
  • farmers’ markets (licensed by Alberta Agriculture) and their stallholders
  • food banks
  • food facilities in halls and churches that may be rented to the public
  • daycares, nursing homes, group homes, and other care facilities with over 10 clients that offer food service
  • grocery stores
  • private homes from which low risk home-prepared foods are sold
  • temporary food facilities at special events (e.g., fairs, festivals, exhibitions, carnivals, rodeos)
  • work-camp food facilities

This program offers guidance but will not apply Food Regulation requirements at private functions like:

  • bake sales when low risk foods are sold for charity
  • food prepared in a private home for family and guests
  • potlucks and other functions not open to the public

For more information visit the Environmental Public Health website or submit a request online.

Contact Details

Drayton Valley Community Health Centre

4110 50 Avenue
Drayton Valley, Alberta
T7A 0B3
Hours of Operation
Days of the Week

8:30 am - 4:30 pm

8:30 am - 4:30 pm

8:30 am - 4:30 pm

8:30 am - 4:30 pm

8:30 am - 4:30 pm


Closed from 12:00pm - 1:00pm

This is not a drop in service. Please call for information between the listed hours

Service Providers May Include
environmental health officers, public health inspectors
Service Languages
Interpreter/Translation services
Service Locations