Enforces Alberta's Public Health Act, including food and housing regulations. May prosecute, in court, owners and operators of public places who continue to use unsafe practices that may endanger people.
This service inspects public places. When needed, is granted the power by The Public Health Act to order dangerous conditions to be fixed, removed, destroyed, or declared unfit.
Public health inspectors are designated as executive officers under the Public Health Act (RSA Chapter P-37) and enforce these regulations and standards:
- Artificial Tanning Regulation
- Bodies of Deceased Persons Regulation (AR 135/2008)
- Communicable Diseases Regulation (AR 238/1985)
- Food Regulation (AR 31/2006)
- Food Retail and Foodservices Code
- Housing Regulation (AR 173/1999)
- Institutions Regulation (AR 143/1981)
- Minimum Housing and Health Standards
- Nuisance and General Sanitation Regulation (AR 243/2003)
- Personal Services Regulation (AR 1/2020)
- Personal Services Standards
- Recreation Area Regulation (AR 198/2004)
- Pool Standards
- Public Swimming Pools Regulation (204/2014)
- Standards for Artificial Tanning Facility Signage
- Waiver Regulation (AR 298/2003)
- Work Camps Regulation (AR 218/2002)
For more information visit the Environmental Public Health website or submit a request online.