A beginner to intermediate level functional physical activity program suitable for people with chronic health condition(s) that limits their ability to move.
- Individual intake assessment with a healthcare provider to determine eligibility for the STEP program
- Eight (8) weeks of exercise, held twice weekly, in the community
- Virtual option with ten (10) weeks of exercise, held twice weekly on Zoom
- Weekly education sessions to learn how to move safely and self monitor. Additional educational sessions on benefits of exercise, goal setting and community resources are built in to program.
- Discharge assessment and supporting personal physical activity goals
- One, three and six months follow-up and intervention, as needed
- Occupational therapy consultation, if required, during programming
Edmonton Zone and Area
The map does not show the actual location of this Organization or Service.
Hours of Operation
Service hours not available.
Service Providers May Include
kinesiologists (KINs), occupational therapists (OTs), physical therapists (PTs)
Designed for adults(18+) who are medically stable and:
- are re-integrating into the community following a medical or rehabilitation intervention
- are able to ambulate independently with or without aid (Walker or Cane etc.) for approximately 1 block
- are under 500 lbs
- better manage physical status while living with a chronic health diagnosis
- are not currently receiving rehabilitation for any Motor Vehicle Accident, Worker's Compensation, or Short Term Disability claim
Healthcare providers should consult the Alberta Referral Directory for service referral information.
How to access the exercise program:
- Clients may self-refer by calling the STEP Forward Intake Line
- Healthcare providers may also call to refer clients to program
- An initial assessment appointment will be scheduled to determine if the program is a right fit
At this time we are following Alberta Health Services guidelines on risk reduction. Clients are required to wear masks during assessment and exercise classes.
An estimated wait time will be provided at the time of intake assessment.
- There is no instructional fee.
- A cost of $15.00 to cover cost of exercise bands and a workbook for clients to keep.
Partners with local community groups for use of facilities to offer this program.
Also Known As
Supervised Transitional Exercise Program
STEP FORWARD (Supervised Transitional Exercise Program), STEP Forward, Supervised Transitional Exercise in a group environment