Calgary Stroke Early Supported Discharge Team
This team facilitates early discharge and transition from inpatient care for adults affected by recent stroke. Early Supported Discharge Team (ESD). Provides client focused, in-home and community based stroke rehabilitation to optimize community re-integration.
To facilitate early supported discharge of stroke survivors with mild or moderate disability by providing rehabilitation services to enhance transition back into the community.
- ESD accepts referrals for clients living in Calgary from all acute and tertiary rehabilitation sites.
- Length of service (LOS) 4-8 weeks up to 3 hours a day
- Clients will be provided with short term, client driven, community/home based rehabilitation interventions
- Target Maximum LOS - Moderate Stroke 6-8 weeks, Mild Stroke 4-6 weeks
- Up to 3 hours per day of treatment based on client need
- Up to 5 days/week daily therapy based on client need
- Single discipline referrals accepted
Sheldon M. Chumir Health Centre
1213 4 Street SW
Hours of Operation
Service hours not available.
Service Providers May Include
occupational therapists (OTs), physiotherapists, recreation therapists, registered nurses (RNs), speech-language pathologists, social workers, therapy assistants
- Recent mild or moderate stroke
- Safe to be discharged to home setting
- Resides within Calgary city limits
- Medically stable
- Willing/able to participate in goal oriented rehab
- Referral to the team would prevent a short stay admission to tertiary inpatient rehab