Stroke Early Supported Discharge Team
This team facilitates early discharge and transition from inpatient care for adults affected by recent stroke. Early Supported Discharge Team (ESD). Provides client focused, in-home and community based stroke rehabilitation to optimize community re-integration.
To facilitate early supported discharge of stroke survivors with mild or moderate disability by providing rehabilitation services to enhance transition back into the community.
- ESD accepts referrals for clients living in Calgary from all acute and tertiary rehabilitation sites.
- Length of service (LOS) 4-8 weeks up to 3 hours a day
- Clients will be provided with short term, client driven, community/home based rehabilitation interventions
- Target Maximum LOS - Moderate Stroke 6-8 weeks, Mild Stroke 4-6 weeks
- Up to 3 hours per day of treatment based on client need
- Up to 5 days/week daily therapy based on client need
- Single discipline referrals accepted
Sheldon M. Chumir Health Centre
1213 4 Street SW
Hours of Operation
Service hours not available.
Service Providers May Include
occupational therapists (OTs), physiotherapists, recreation therapists, registered nurses (RNs), speech-language pathologists, social workers, therapy assistants
- Recent mild or moderate stroke
- Safe to be discharged to home setting
- Resides within Calgary city limits
- Medically stable
- Willing/able to participate in goal oriented rehab
- Referral to the team would prevent a short stay admission to tertiary inpatient rehab