This service standardizes care before, during and after surgery, in order to get patients back on their feet quicker while shortening hospital stays and reducing complications after surgery.
The Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) service works to improve patient care related to nutrition, mobility after surgery, fluid management, anesthesia and pain control. We engage patients and make them part of the team by involving them in preparation for their surgery and post-operative recovery. By helping patients stay strong, we can improve outcomes, reduce complications and create a better patient experience.
- patients are taught health activities to practice that will help them recover
- medications for pain, nausea, infection, and blood clot prevention are given based on best practice evidence
- management of pain, nausea and fluids is provided
- techniques are applied to reduce surgical stress response (minimally invasive surgery, employ blocks or freezing to prevent pain signals from setting off fight or flight /stress response)
- evidence promotes less lines, drains, tubes and early urinary catheter removal
- better outcomes through drinking, eating, gum chewing, moving and walking
- improved pain, nausea and surgical complication rate