- 18 years or older
- progressive illness with an estimated prognosis 3 months or less
- extensive evidence of disease and demonstrated rate of deterioration
- goals of care are focused on comfort, with no further aggressive or invasive treatment intended to cure disease
- "C1" Goals of Care Designation
- palliative performance scale (PPS) score of 40% or less
- care needs that are not able to be met in the current location of care
- any exceptions to the listed criteria must be discussed with the Manager of Hospice Access
- valid Alberta Health Care number
- Calgary Zone Hospices are not able to accommodate patients who are wandering, have VAC (vacuum assisted closure) dressings, require continuous suction, or require Airborne Isolation
Healthcare providers should consult the Alberta Referral Directory for service referral information.
An estimated wait time will be provided at the time of appointment booking.
There is no cost for referral to Hospice Access, however once admitted to hospice patients are responsible for community pharmacy and home oxygen costs. There is no accommodation fee for hospice. Eligible patients will be enrolled in the Alberta Palliative Blue Cross Plan to help with medication costs. Alberta Aids to Daily Living is available to cover costs for home oxygen for individuals who qualify.