Provides 24/7, specialized support to individuals who are experiencing domestic violence.
Domestic violence can take many forms, including verbal, physical, sexual, psychological, emotional, spiritual, financial, and the violation of rights and can happen in any relationship that is based on intimacy, dependency, or trust. The Domestic Abuse Response Team (DART) offers specialized support to patients of all genders who are experiencing any form of domestic violence. Individuals do not have to be in a crisis to access DART and can request a referral at select emergency departments, urgent care centres, and maternity units. Participation is voluntary.
DART services are provided while individuals are present within the Alberta Health Services (AHS) or Covenant Health facility and are confidential, nonjudgmental, and choice-based. Once the referral is initiated, a DART responder will connect with the individual either in-person or over the phone to conduct further assessment and provide the following services based on the their needs:
- emotional support
- information and education about domestic violence
- assistance with safety planning
- information about and referrals to local supports, including financial assistance, counselling, food bank, etc.
- assistance with contacting local law enforcement and / or Children's Services
- access to safe accommodations, including emergency shelter or hotel
- transportation from AHS or Covenant Health facility to safe accommodations
- follow-up support This service is provided by AHS and AHS contracted service providers.
This service is provided by AHS and AHS contracted service providers.