Pediatric Surgery - Post Anesthetic Care Unit
Following surgery, children are monitored until they can safely be moved to a hospital room.
The child is moved to the Post Anesthetic Care Unit following surgery for monitoring until they wake up from anesthesia.
PACU nurses have advanced training and certifications to make sure your child wakes up safely after being asleep for surgery. Before leaving PACU, the nurses make sure that:
- your child's pain and nausea are being looked after
- your child's breathing, heart rate, blood pressure and oxygen levels are where they should be
- your child's surgical area is ready for healing
For more information: Post Anesthetic Care Unit
Stollery Children's Hospital
8440 112 Street
Parking and Public transportation available.
Hours of Operation
24 hour service
Service Providers May Include
pediatric anesthesiologists, pediatric surgeons, registered pediatric nurses (RNs)
Patient's under 18 years of age.
Referral by a physician/other professional required.
Bring the following with you:
- Child's Provincial Healthcare card and Birth Certificate or Passport
- a list of all medicine the patient takes
- documents required for legal consent