Supervised Consumption Service
Provides a place where people who use pre-obtained drugs are monitored in a hygienic environment to reduce harm from substance use while also receiving additional support and connection to recovery-oriented services.
- medical interventions by regulated health care providers in the event of opioid / stimulant overdoses, including oxygen and naloxone administration
- sterile injection supplies and disposal equipment
- drug poisoning prevention education and response training, including naloxone kits
- education on a variety of harm reduction topics, such as vein care, safer injection techniques, and hepatitis / human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) prevention
- connection to recovery-oriented services such as substance use treatment and supports, mental health care, and housing
Access to the following only for those using the site:
- client advocacy and referrals to health, social and recovery-oriented services
- basic wound care and health services (will vary by site)
This service is provided by Alberta Health Services and Alberta Health Services contracted service providers.
Sheldon M. Chumir Health Centre
Safeworks Supervised Consumption Site
1213 4 Street SW
403-955-3380, 403-801-4453 (Outreach)
This facility is wheelchair accessible and has an elevator on site.
Patient pay parking.
24 hour under ground parking (Kiosk).
On major bus route.
Hours of Operation
24 hour service
6 consumption booths
Service Providers May Include
addictions counsellors, indigenous support workers, licensed practical nurses (LPNs), outreach workers, support workers, paramedics, registered nurses (RNs), social workers
Service targeted to:
- 18 years and older
- ability to agree to service (informed consent) and to follow service rules
Healthcare providers should consult the Alberta Referral Directory for service referral information.
Can self-refer or be referred by family or friend.
Interpreters / Translators
George Spady Society, Northreach Society, Radius Community Health and Housing
Also Known As
Overdose Prevention Sites