This is the Central Triage Department for Outpatient Dysphagia Clinic. Referrals that meet criteria will be refer to the ODC for assessment, treatment, and management of adults 18 and over who have or are suspected of having oropharyngeal swallowing dysfunction.
Services provided may include:
- clinical swallowing assessment and / or education performed in-person or virtually (Zoom)
- instrumental assessment
VFSS / MBS (Videofluoroscopic Swallow Assessment / Modified Barium Swallow
FEES (Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing)
The clinic DOES NOT assess or manage patients with suspected esophageal abnormalities.
Consider alternate investigations if patient has:
- sensation of lump in the throat not associated with oral intake
- food feeling stuck at level of sternal notch or below
- difficulty with solids but not liquids
- sensation of choking, but able to breathe throughout and food typically clears