Feeding Swallowing Service - Adult and Pediatric
Helps children and adults who have feeding/swallowing problems be able to eat and drink safely.
Offers help to children and adults who have feeding / swallowing problems be able to eat and drink safely. The team will:
- assess feeding and swallowing problems
- offer counselling, education, treatment and follow-up
The service helps people to:
- be able to eat and drink safely
- get the nutrition and fluids they need
- have good eating experiences with families and caregivers
Service Providers May Include
dietitians, occupational therapists (OTs), psychologists, radiologists, social workers, speech-language pathologists (SLPs)
Service is provided to:
- children and adults at risk for: aspiration (food or liquid enters the airway), choking and possible airway obstruction, chest infections, malnutrition, dehydration and impaired growth and development.
- children under 18 years with complex feeding / swallowing problems due to: underlying neurological, developmental, or musculoskeletal conditions, congenital anomalies, injury / trauma (e.g. spinal, facial, neck), structural anomalies or unknown cause
- children on tube feedings who do NOT meet the criteria for the Pediatric Home Nutrition Support Program.
Healthcare providers should consult the Alberta Referral Directory for service referral information.