Consults and referrals for children with urinary tract or urogenital abnormalities or disorders Subspecialty clinics for children with voiding disorders
Assessment, treatments and/or interventions, education, and follow-up for children with urinary tract or urogenital tract disorders or abnormalities that may require surgical interventions.
Clinical services offered include conditions such as:
- Congenital Malformations (e.g. Spina Bifida, Bladder Exstrophy, Hypospadias, Undescended Testicles, Hydronephrosis, Vesicoureteral Reflux)
- Renal Trauma
- Tumors of the Urogenital System
Subspecialty clinics include: referrals must come from urology surgeon.
Assessment and treatments in the subspecialty clinics are independently conducted by a Registered Nurse or Urology Nurse Practitioner
- Voiding Dysfunction Clinic for children with urinary urgency and frequency, daytime wetting, bedwetting and/or recurrent urinary tract infections
- Urinary Biofeedback Program- this is the only clinic of its kind in Northern Alberta. Through the placement of EMG path electrodes and child friendly graphical interfaces, children are taught methods of relaxing and contracting their urinary sphincters. This is a very effective resource for treating children with severe incontinence and urinary retention.
- Urodynamics- offered to children with neurogenic bladders or those who have problems with urination. Children are assessed to determine how well the bladder, sphincters, and urethra are able to store and release urine