Provides psychiatric assessment and consultation to adults and teenagers age 16 year of age and older with an intellectual disability and a mental health and / or behavioral problem.
Arnika Centre offers psychiatric assessment and stabilization via medication for individuals 16 years or older who have an IQ 70 or below prior to the age of 18, have mental health concerns and/or significant behavioral problems, and have a family doctor who is supportive of the referral.
Service Providers May Include
mental health therapists, occupational therapists (OT), psychiatrists, registered nurses (RNs), social workers
Clients must meet ALL the following eligibility criteria in order to be seen at Arnika Centre.
- patient must have a full scale IQ below 70 prior to the age of 18 (PDD eligible).
- patient must be over the age of 16 years.
- patient must have a current mental health and/or significant behavioral concerns.
- patient must have a family doctor and the family doctor must be supportive of the referral.
- patient must have had a full physical in the last year.
Healthcare providers should consult the Alberta Referral Directory for service referral information.
A family doctor or specialist may refer but the specialist referral must include a letter from the family doctor supporting the referral.