Palliative Care Consult Service - Community Urban
This service provides palliative care consultative support for adult patients, families, and healthcare teams to help manage complex palliative symptoms related to the patient¿s life-threatening disease. If you need ongoing Home Care support see below.
Palliative Care Consult services include:
- assessment and management of the patient’s symptoms (e.g., pain, delirium, nausea, anxiety, dyspnea, psychosocial, emotional and spiritual distress) with the primary care team
- education for patients and families about how the disease will progress and care needed at the end of life
- suggestions for receiving the best possible end-of-life care and support for families faced with the loss of a loved one
- help with thinking about, talking about and documenting wishes for health care in the event the patient becomes incapable of consenting to or refusing treatment or other care
- help with determining the medical order used to describe and communicate the general aim or focus of care including the preferred location of care
- help with exploring care options after leaving the hospital, receiving palliative care focused services, which may include moving to a different care setting (e.g., a hospice)
- information and advice for healthcare providers about palliative care
If you require ongoing Palliative Home Care support contact Community Care Access.
Service Providers May Include
clinical nurse specialists, doctors, end stage lung disease specialists, nurse consultants
Adults 18 years and older.
Healthcare providers should consult the Alberta Referral Directory for service referral information.
Patients and family may discuss their palliative care needs with their health professional or call the Palliative Care Consult Service office for more information.
Also Known As
Hospice Palliative Care, Inpatient Palliative Care, Palliative / End of Life Care - Consultation Support, Palliative Care Consult Service