This service provides assessment, treatment, and management of adults 18 and over who have or are suspected of having oropharyngeal swallowing dysfunction.
Services provided may include:
- clinical swallowing assessment and / or education
- instrumental assessment
- VFSS/MBS (Videofluoroscopic Swallow Assessment/ Modified Barium Swallow
- FEES (Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing)
- follow-up if indicated
- referrals to other services or programs
The clinic DOES NOT assess or manage patients with suspected esophageal abnormalities.
Consider alternate investigations if patient has:
- sensation of lump in the throat not associated with oral intake
- food feeling stuck at level of sternal notch or below
- difficulty with solids but not liquids
- sensation of choking, but able to breathe throughout and food typically clears