A not-for-profit, charitable, community focused organization. All donations received stay in the area to enhance healthcare in the communities served by the Bow Island Health Centre.
The Bow Island & District Health Foundation was formed in 1996 to support healthcare in the areas served by Bow Island Health Centre. Up to a maximum of 14 volunteers from the area serve as trustees to accomplish the work of the Foundation.
The role of the Foundation is to:
- Accept donations
- Donations received by the Bow Island & District Health Foundation stay in the area to enhance healthcare in the communities served by the Bow Island Health Centre.
- Donations can be designated to specific areas – by location, specific programs or to greatest needs
- These donations contribute significantly to the quality of healthcare for all residents.
- Raise funds - Foundation fundraising activities include:
- Annual Raffles – Annual Cash Raffle (one draw date with three cash prizes) and the Toonie Lottery (12 monthly draws for cash prizes). These raffles support equipment needs designated on an annual basis.
- Trees of Hope – Annual campaign which runs from Nov. 15 until Jan. 15 in support of the Palliative Care Fund.
- Annual Garage Sale – This community garage sale has garnered tremendous community support, with funds supporting the Education/Scholarship and Staff Wellness Funds
- Distribute funds to support health care according to identified needs and donor requests
Since its inception, the Foundation has funded many pieces of equipment to enhance provision of health care in the area including:
- Medical Equipment - Vital Signs Monitors, Cardiac Monitors, Bladder Scanner, Wheelchairs
- Furniture/Room Enhancements – special care beds/mattresses, recliners, bedside tables, ceiling lifts
- Program Specific Equipment – Vaccine Fridge (Community Health), Blood Bank Fridge & Microscope (Laboratory), GPS Units (EMS), Floor Scrubber (Environmental Services), Tilt Table (Physiotherapy)
Therapeutic Recreation Programs
- Ongoing support for the duet bike program and annual grant for program support
- Offered annually in three different categories in the healthcare field: an AHS employee for continuing education, a high school student entering a healthcare field, and a student from the service area entering the second or subsequent years in post-secondary health care program. These scholarships are available to anyone within the communities served by the Bow Island & District Health Foundation.
- Support purchase of supplies for palliative patients being cared for at home and purchase of equipment, supplies and furniture for the BIHC palliative care rooms/program
Staff Education/Staff Wellness
- Annual grant to support continuing education for staff, purchase of educational resources, provision of Staff Room supplies and staff recognition events
Charity Number:8907 18984 RR0001