Diabetes Program - Patient and Caregiver Education
Diabetes education classes for patients and their friends and family.
Diabetes management education classes offered include:
- learn how to lower your risk for Type 2 Diabetes through healthy eating, exercise and weight management
Taking Charge: Daily Management of Type 2 Diabetes
- learn about type 2 diabetes and what affects your blood sugar
- explore the key strategies you can use to control your blood sugar levels
- recommendation: attend Taking Charge: Daily Management of Type 2 Diabetes before attending Taking Charge: Long Term Management of Type 2 Diabetes
Diabetes: Healthy Eating
- learn tips to manage your blood sugars through: meal timing, balanced meals, carbohydrate choices and reading food labels
- recommendation: attend Diabetes: Healthy Eating before attending Diabetes: Meal Planning and Diabetes - Carbohydrate Counting
Taking Charge: Long Term Management of Type 2 Diabetes
- building on the information provided in the Taking Charge: Daily Managment of Type 2 Diabetes class, this class focuses on specific topics of concern and how to plan for them
- learn more about Diabetes medications, travel, sick day management, driving, and potential long tem complications.
- recommendation: attend Taking Charge: Long Term Management of Type 2 Diabetes after attending Taking Charge: Daily Management of Type 2 Diabetes
Diabetes: Meal Planning
- using the tools from the class Diabetes: Healthy Eating, learn how to plan meals using Plan, Purchase, Prepare and Pack
- practice meal planning in class
- learn tips to make recipes healthier and how to make better choices when eating out
- recommendation: attend Diabetes: Healthy Eating before attending Diabetes: Meal Planning
- learn how to care for your feet using the INSPECT, PROTECT, PREVENT, and CONSULT method
- learn to identify and deal with foot problems that are associated with Diabetes
Service Providers May Include
psychologists, registered dietitians, registered nurses (RNs)
- must be 17 years of age or older
- registration is required
For a calendar of upcoming sessions, to view class information or to self register for a class, call Central Access Booking at 780-401-BOOK (2665).
Please have your Alberta Health Care number ready when you call.
If you have any specific questions regarding content of the classes offered, or about Diabetes in general, call the Diabetes Hotline at 825-404-7460, (press 1 ) (Mon-Fri 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM).
Also Known As
Diabetes Program - Patient Education
Diabetes Edmonton, Diabetes Education, Diabetes Education Edmonton