Provides assessment, diagnosis and counselling, as well as screening and management recommendations, to Albertans across their lifespan (pre-conception, newborn, pediatric and adult) affected, or at risk for an inherited genetic condition(s), birth defects and rare diseases.
An appointment is with a clinical geneticist and/or genetic counsellor, depending on the reason for referral.
Telehealth is available for Southern Alberta residents.
A consultation may involve:
- a review of the patient and / or relevant family members’ medical and family histories
- a physical examination of the patient, and possibly relevant family members such as parents and siblings
- investigations, such as medical imaging and blood work for genetic testing or other indications
- referrals to other medical specialists
- genetic counselling to provide patients and their family members with information about the specific genetic condition that they have or are at risk for
- genetic counselling to support patients and their family members in making informed decisions about testing and screening options
- genetic counselling to identify additional family members who may benefit from a genetic assessment.
Ward consults are provided at all tertiary hospitals by the geneticist is on call 24 / 7 in Calgary and Edmonton.
For more information visit the Clinical & Metabolic Genetics website.