Red Pepper and Walnut Dip
Try this dip as an alternative to heavy cream-based dips! The only fat is healthy unsaturated fat from walnuts. Including a small amount of healthy fat in your diet can help reduce your risk of some chronic diseases.
4 medium Red bell peppers 4 medium
1 small Red chili pepper 1 small
4 cloves Garlic 4 cloves
¾ cup Walnuts, toasted 175 mL
2 slices Dry white bread, crust removed 2 slices
2 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice 30 mL
1 Tbsp Pomegranate molasses (syrup) 15 mL
1 tsp Ground cumin 5 mL
½ tsp Salt 2 mL
6 whole Whole grain pita bread 6 whole
1. Roast peppers and garlic. Cool and remove skin.
2. Place walnuts in food processor and grind.
3. Add peppers, garlic, bread, lemon juice, molasses, cumin and salt to food processor and blend until smooth.
4. Stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons of warm water if dip is too thick.
5. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours for better taste.
6. Serve with pita bread.
Makes 12 servings (60 mL / ¼ cup dip + ½ pita / 94 g)
Per Serving: 170 calories, 6 g fat (0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 300 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 6 g protein, 4 g fibre.
For more recipes, see Inspiring Healthy Eating at Healthyeatingstartshere.ca