Roasted Salmon with Lentils and Creamy Pesto
Canada's food guide recommends eating at least two fish servings (2 ½ ounces or 75 grams) each week, with an emphasis on fattier fish rich in omega 3s and lower in mercury, such as salmon, trout, char and sardines.
2 ½ cups No sodium or low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock,
or water 625 mL
1 cup Small green or du Puy lentils, picked over* 250 mL
1 small Onion, peeled and finely chopped 1 small
1 medium Celery stalk (with leaves), finely chopped 1 medium
2 cloves Fresh garlic, minced 2 cloves
1 Tbsp Canola oil 15 mL
1 Tbsp Red wine vinegar 15 mL
1 tsp Grainy mustard 5 mL
1 lb Salmon or trout fillet 454 g
1 tsp Canola oil 5 mL
2 Tbsp Bottled basil pesto 30 mL
¼ cup Plain 1% M.F. yogurt 60 mL
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the stock or water to a simmer.
2. Add the lentils, onion, celery and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes, or until the lentils are just tender.
3. Remove from heat, drain any excess liquid and toss with 1 Tbsp (15 mL) oil, vinegar and mustard. Season sparingly with pepper.
4. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
5. Place the salmon, skin side down (if it has skin) on a foil- or parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet.
6. Drizzle with 1 tsp (5 mL) oil and rub with your fingers to coat completely.
7. Sprinkle with pepper and roast for 10 minutes per inch (25 mm) of thickness (it should take 8–10 minutes), until the edge of the fish flakes with a fork, but the filet is still slightly soft in the middle.
8. In a small bowl, whisk the pesto and yogurt until well combined.
9. Serve the salmon on a bed of lentils, drizzled with the pesto sauce.
*Rinse lentils before cooking and pick out any small rocks that may not have been washed away!
Makes 6 servings (375 mL/ 1 ½ cups/ 283 g)
Per Serving: 320 calories, 13 g fat (2.5 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 250 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 29 g protein, 3 g fibre.
Source: developed by Julie van Rosendaal for Apple, Alberta Health Services' health and wellness magazine.
For more recipes, see Inspiring Healthy Eating at Healthyeatingstartshere.ca