Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Sweet potato fries at restaurants are often deep fried in unhealthy fat. A healthier way to make them is to bake with a small amount of vegetable oil, such as canola or olive oil.
4 medium Sweet potatoes 4 medium
1 ½ Tbsp Canola oil 22 mL
½ tsp Salt 2 mL
1 tsp Garlic powder 5 mL
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Spray a shallow baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray or place a sheet of parchment paper on the baking sheet to keep the fries from sticking to the pan.
3. Wash sweet potatoes thoroughly (do not peel).
4. Cut potatoes into wedges (about ⅓ inch/ 1 cm thick).
5. Pat potatoes dry with paper towels or clean dish towel.
6. In a large bowl, mix potatoes with oil, salt and garlic powder.
7. Spread the potatoes on the baking sheet.
8. Bake for 15 minutes.
9. Turn potatoes once and bake for another 10 minutes or until golden and crisp.
Makes 6 servings (125 mL/ ½ cup/ 91 g)
Note: For variation, use any other root vegetable: potatoes, yams, carrots, or turnips.
Per Serving: 110 calories, 3.5 g fat, (0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 240 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g protein, 3 g fibre.
For more recipes, see Inspiring Healthy Eating at Healthyeatingstartshere.ca