Spanish Rice and Beans
Fibre is an important part of a healthy diet. It may help in weight management and in reducing the risk of some chronic diseases. This flavourful side dish is very high in fibre thanks to the combination of whole grain rice, vegetables and beans.
2 Tbsp Canola oil 30 mL
½ cup Onion, minced 125 mL
2 cups Brown rice, dry 500 mL
1 tsp Paprika 5 mL
½ tsp Cumin 2 mL
1 tsp Garlic powder 5 mL
1 Tbsp Parsley flakes 15 mL
½ tsp Salt 2 mL
½ tsp Pepper 2 mL
2 Tbsp Tomato paste 30 mL
4 cups Water 1 L
2 cups Mixed frozen vegetables, chopped 500 mL
2 cups Broccoli florets, chopped 500 mL
1–19 oz can Red kidney beans, drained and rinsed 1–540 mL can
1. In deep skillet, heat oil and add onion. Sauté until soft.
2. Add rice and spices. Cook and stir until rice is lightly toasted but not browned.
3. Add tomato paste, water and frozen vegetables.
4. Bring to a boil again; reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 20–30 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and rice starts to soften.
5. Fluff rice with a fork; add broccoli and beans reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for another 5–10 minutes or until rice is done.
6. Stir rice gently. Serve hot or cold.
Makes 8 servings (250 mL/ 1 cup/ 251 g)
Per Serving: 260 calories, 5 g fat, (0.5 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 190 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 10 g protein, 8 g fibre.
For more recipes, see Inspiring Healthy Eating at Healthyeatingstartshere.ca