Although the focus of this soup is the delicious cheese-filled pasta, it is also full of vegetables that are inexpensive and available year-round. Try this healthy and hearty recipe to help you meet your goal of eating 7–10 servings of Vegetables and Fruit every day.
2 Tbsp Canola oil 30 mL
½ cup Onion, diced 125 mL
½ cup Celery, minced 125 mL
2 tsp Tomato paste 10 mL
8 cups Water 2 L
2 tsp Salt 10 mL
1 tsp Pepper 5 mL
1 tsp Garlic powder 5 mL
1 tsp Basil 5 mL
1 tsp Oregano 5 mL
1 Tbsp Parsley flakes 15 mL
3 cups Carrots, sliced 750 mL
2 cups Green beans (fresh or frozen) 500 mL
1 - 12 ounce pkg Tortellini 1 - 350 g pkg
2 cups Broccoli, chopped 500 mL
1. In a large pot, heat oil. Add onion and sauté until soft.
2. Add celery and tomato paste; cook and stir until celery is soft.
3. Add water, salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil, oregano, and parsley.
4. Cover and bring to boil.
5. Add carrots, green beans and tortellini. Bring to a boil again; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5–10 minutes or until tortellini is tender but not soft.
6. Add broccoli; bring to boil again. Adjust seasoning and remove from heat.
Makes 8 servings (375 mL/ 1 ½ cups/ 416 g)
Per Serving: 360 calories, 8 g fat, (2 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 500 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 16 g protein, 15 g fibre.
For more recipes, see Inspiring Healthy Eating at Healthyeatingstartshere.ca