Banana and Carrot Bread
Eating foods with fibre is an important part of a healthy diet. This recipe uses whole wheat flour instead of white flour to increase the amount of fibre. Each slice of bread provides 4 g of fibre.
2 cups Whole wheat flour 500 mL
1 tsp Baking soda 5 mL
1 tsp Cinnamon 5 mL
¼ cup Canola oil 60 mL
1 Egg 1
½ cup Sugar 125 mL
1 ½ cup Bananas, mashed 375 mL
1 cup Carrots, grated 250 mL
½ cup Raisins
Non-stick cooking spray 125 mL
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cinnamon and stir.
3. In a large bowl, add canola oil, egg, sugar, bananas, carrots and raisins, and mix together.
4. Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Mix well.
5. Spray a 9 x 5 inch (23 x 13 cm) loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Put batter into pan.
6. Bake for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on rack.
Makes 12 servings (1 slice/ 71 g)
Per Serving: 200 calories, 6 g fat, (0.5 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 115 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 4 g protein, 4 g fibre.
For more recipes, see Inspiring Healthy Eating at Healthyeatingstartshere.ca