Layered Meatless Mexican Salad
This colourful salad provides 2 Canada’s Food Guide servings of Vegetables and Fruit. Have a salad–it’s fresh, delicious, and naturally good for you!
6 cups Romaine lettuce, washed and chopped into strips 1 ½ L
1 ¼ cup Salsa 310 mL
1-19 ounce can Black beans, rinsed, drained 1-540 mL can
1-12 ounce can Whole kernel corn, drained 1-341 mL can
1 large Cucumber, thinly sliced 1 large
1 large Fresh lemon (peel and juice) 1 large
½ cup Low fat mayonnaise 125 mL
½ cup Plain 1% M.F. yogurt 125 mL
2 cloves Garlic, minced 2 cloves
½ cup Reduced fat cheddar cheese, 21% M.F. or less, shredded 125 mL
¼ cup Green onion, thinly sliced 60 mL
1. Place half of lettuce in a large serving bowl.
2. Layer salsa, beans and corn over lettuce.
3. Arrange cucumber over corn, and top with remaining lettuce.
4. Grate lemon peel and combine with mayonnaise, yogurt and garlic.
5. Squeeze lemon juice into mayonnaise mixture. Stir and spread evenly over top of salad.
6. Sprinkle with cheese and green onion.
7. Cover salad and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Makes 8 servings (500 mL/ 2 cups/ 245 g)
Per Serving: 200 calories, 7 g fat, (2 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 500 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 10 g protein, 6 g fibre.
For more recipes, see Inspiring Healthy Eating at Healthyeatingstartshere.ca