The Alberta Healthy Living Program provides services to those living with chronic conditions in communities throughout Alberta.
Alberta Healthy Living Program (AHLP) services provided vary slightly from Zone to Zone. Some of the below services may be available via telehealth at some locations. Services may include information, education, techniques, and support to help improve your health and quality of life with a chronic condition. The program is based on a model that includes:
- Healthy Eating for Reducing Your Risk Class
- Taking Care of You Risk Reduction Class
- Grocery Store Tours
- Stroke Sense Class
- Diabetes Management Class
- Heart CHEC Class
- Heart Failure Education Class
- Stress Management Series
- Managing Emotional Eating Series
- Sleep Health Series
- Weight Management Series
- Getting Started with Weight Management Class
Better Choices, Better Health - Learn self-management skills for the physical and emotional challenges of living with long-term health conditions. Better Choices Better Health
Better Choices, Better Health® - Online - This online workshop is available to Albertans interested in gaining confidence and building skills to manage their chronic conditions and develop healthier lifestyles. Family members and support people are welcome to join.
Supervised Exercise - Learn how to self-monitor and stay safe while exercising. Improve your cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength, and flexibility with our 12 week program.
Specialty Care / Clinics:
- Asthma / COPD Specialty Clinic: Individuals and families of all ages will work with a Respiratory Therapist to work on better managing asthma or Congestive Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Assessment, treatment and follow up is offered in individual appointments.
- Diabetes Specialty Clinic: Provides one to one assessment and follow up for those living with Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes and / or Diabetes in pregnancy to individuals and families of all ages. Diabetes specialty also provides support and services to those requiring insulin pump therapy. Endocrine clinics with an internist or endocrinologist are available to pediatric patients, pregnancy patients and those interested in insulin pump therapy.
- Cardiac Rehabilitation Program: Provides education, individual assessment, and follow up to those who have been impacted with various cardiac conditions. Patients along with their support people are also welcome to attend the 2 part Heart CHEC class and join the Supervised Exercise program.
- Heart Function Specialty Clinic: (HFC) a comprehensive, multidisciplinary specialty clinic that supports patients with moderate and high risk heart failure. A physician referral is required and patients will be seen in for ongoing heart failure care in a team based care.
- Outpatient Nutrition Counselling: Work with a Registered Dietitian to improve eating habits and address nutritional needs. Please see Nutrition Counselling for information.
- Bariatric Specialty Clinic: This clinic provides medical, psychological and surgical interventions for weight management. See the Bariatric Specialty Clinic.
For more information please visit the Alberta Healthy Living website.